While on hunger strike I have had much needed time to reflect and pray. I share with you the fruits:
1. What are we to do? RESCUE AND RESTORE DARFUR.
2. Why is our family being exterminated in Darfur? ITS MY PRIORITIES, MINE AND YOURS. None of us in the west wants this Genocide of our Darfur family. It continues because among people like me and you, it is not a high enough priority. Yes, tons of food and words are delivered daily. But food will not stop the Genocide and words are cheap. Me and you Standing Up is dear. Where is the fasting? Where are the demonstrations? Where is the civil disobedience? What are we saving these tactics for? SOME OF US ARE GOING TO HAVE TO STEP UP AND PAY A HUGE PRICE.
3. Who can stop this slaughter? ONLY ME AND OR YOU CAN STOP THE GENOCIDE. “Never think that a small group of committed people can't change the world. In fact, it is the only thing that ever has,” wrote Margaret Mead. I think that a corollary to this is: NEVER THINK THAT A COMMITTED INDIVIDUAL CAN'T CHANGE THE WORLD. IN FACT, IT IS THE ONLY THING THAT EVER HAS. Many, many, many people are involved already, but how many of us are committed? Never Again depends on me and you, nothing more, nothing less, nothing else.
4. How hard will it be to stop the extermination now? MUCH HARDER THAN WE HAVE FACED. Isn't it self serving, to think that to Rescue and Restore Darfur will take less than the commitment seen in the Antiapartheid, Civil Rights, or similar struggles? Yes, it is self serving to deny that the cost to me and you must be very dear. Ten years ago the cost was too high for me and you to rescue Rwanda. Also Darfur?
5. What can stop the Genocide? ONLY OUR HUMANITY RADICALLY UNLEASHED, A CRUSADE OF NONVIOLENT ACTION, CAN STOP THE GENOCIDE, CAN RESCUE AND RESTORE DARFUR. It is not our intelligence, methods, computers, political skills, connections, military or the Internet that can stop the Genocide. It is not our hoped for Generals (Bush, Kofi, UN, Senate, Congress, France, Nato, Germany, China….) who will Rescue and Restore. They will NEVER be the army needed.
6. When will the time be right for us to stand up? THE TIME WILL NEVER BE RIGHT. You and I are WAITING for the right plan, the right strategy, the right time, the right leadership, the right resources… There is no such thing. There is no safety, comfort or certainty in battle. Our choice is not to wait for the right opportunity. Our choice is whether to enter the battle or not. We must enter the battle now, alone and unsure.
7. What Spirit and Tactics are required? THE SPIRIT OF LOVE AND FAITH, THE TACTICS OF FASTING, DEMONSTRATIONS AND CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE. Whenever there have been campaigns that led to mass Rescue and Restoration, the Spirit was one of selflessness, love, courage, justness and faith; faith that if we embody the will of our Father to the extreme, He will use us to move the mountain. And the TACTICS WERE EXTREME, MATCHING THE EXTREME FORCES OF DESTRUCTION. If we do not aggressively employ these tactics we have chosen to let the Genocide extermination prevail. Darfur is a once in a lifetime opportunity for me, and for you to exercise our humanity. Dr. King said, “If a man does not know what he will give his life for, he is not fit to live.” If we will not give our lives to stop Genocide then what will we give our life for? If not now, when? If not me, if not you, who?We know what to do: “Do unto others ALL that you would have them do unto you.” Let's do it.
More soon. Jay